Wednesday

Graveyard Calling

At night I scale the cemetery walls, unseen I walk in silence
Among the still rows, dodging all but stony angels vigilence.
Just for a taste of the human trash our cities threw away,
Those slumbering beneath the shallow earth await my spade
That lifts the heavy soil from off their cripple backs,
And slowly into the vaulted capsule cracks.
Lift, and search, until my love I find. I know her now only by
the favourite flowers that her loved ones leave behind:
The blanchest lily, for its pureness they prefer,
Yet I leave nightshade blooms, that now better represent her.
And sometimes at night I crave the smell of decay sweet,
So outside and to my sanctuary, where 'tis her I'll meet.
And when I lie with her and hold my breath,
Then do I see: true love lives only in silence.
Although her beauty is locked in ages past, and flesh
Does fade, but still, her immortal presence does attest
To the innocence of our unfailing affair, and
I know in this lover's crypt I shall always find her there.
Who could doubt my love that does experience feel?
For undying love is but the only love 'tis real,
And when you hear the rasp of death against your flesh, passion sparks
Although the maggots writhe between your entwined bodies in the dark.
And what more intoxicating than the bittersweet smell of decay,
That haunts your dreams and drips lovestains unseen by day.
Her staring sockets burn the stutters in my speech, and I upstart,
That mimic stutters that once stopped her wilted heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment